Respawn Entertainment's upcoming first-person shooter, Titanfall, will not see a release in South Africa following poor performance in the region during its beta tests last month, Electronic Arts South Africa announced on its official Facebook page.
"After conducting recent online tests for Titanfall, we found that the performance rates in South Africa were not as high as we need to guarantee a great experience, so we have decided not to release Titanfall in South Africa at this time," the statement read. "We understand this is a disappointment for local fans and will keep fans posted on any future plans regarding the release of Titanfall in South Africa."
"Performance wasn't as good in the area as we would like, don't want to sell you something that isn't great," Respawn founder Vince Zampella said via Twitter, adding that the studio will look further into it after launch.
Respawn conducted a closed multiplayer beta test last month for registered Xbox One and Windows PC users worldwide, largely to make sure that Microsoft's Xbox Live compute platform can scale up as high as needed. The developer then opened up the closed beta test to all Xbox One and Windows PC users to better stress test the game's servers under load.
All of Titanfall's servers across all platforms are on Microsoft's Azure platform, of which there wasn't a local data centre for the South African region. Australia also doesn't have a local operational data centre and instead will use the closest one in Singapore at launch. Zampella tweeted overnight that "we'll have good news soon for aussies."
Titanfall is slated to launch on Xbox One and Windows PC on March 11 in North America, March 13 in Europe and Australia, and March 14 in the U.K. The Xbox 360 version hits March 25 in North America and March 28 in Europe. The season pass at $24.99 will consist of three map packs. Be sure to read our preview for more about the game.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'
- Forum moderation?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Thoughts on the inaccurate sensor bar
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31