Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia, the Asian division of the PlayStation business, opened a new internal group today: the China Strategy Department, Sony announced today.
The department will be led by Takehito Soeda, who has served as vice president of China business strategy within Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Asia since December, according to his LinkedIn profile.
Sony did not provide any further details about the group, but its establishment could signal an intent on the company's part to bring PlayStation consoles to China. In January, the country suspended its ban on the sale and importation of video game systems, a restriction that had been in place since 2000. Under China's new policy, foreign corporations can manufacture and sell gaming consoles within Shanghai's free-trade zone, the first such area created in the country.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas Plague Quarter - Overview Video
- What it's like to attend Girls Make Games, the all-girls game dev summer camp