Penny Arcade is expanding PAX to Texas with PAX South in San Antonio, co-founders Mike Krahulik (above right) and Jerry Holkins (left) announced today during their "Make A Strip" panel at PAX East 2014.
The inaugural PAX South will take place from Jan. 23-25, 2015, at the Henry B. Gonzalez Convention Center, located on the east bank of San Antonio's famous Riverwalk. Robert Khoo, Penny Arcade's president, teased a new PAX earlier this month on Twitter.
Prior to today's announcement, Penny Arcade ran three PAX conventions around the world: PAX Prime in Seattle, which began in 2004; PAX East in Boston, which began in 2010; and PAX Australia in Melbourne, which began in 2013. The organization also holds the developer-only event PAX Dev in Seattle just before PAX Prime.
For more on the recent history of PAX, check out our report on the controversy surrounding PAX and what its managers are doing to rehabilitate the image of the shows, as well as our report on how PAX East evolved in 2014.
Update: "Since its launch in 2004, PAX events have doubled in size almost every year, and our Seattle and Boston events represent the two largest gaming festivals in North America. We've been hearing for years that those in the south had a tough time making it to the northern corners of the country; PAX South has always been a matter of 'when' rather than 'if,'" said Khoo in a press release today. We've also edited the story above to include the specific dates from the press release.
In This StoryStream
More from Polygon
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?