Quadrazoid, a speedrunner group, has set a record Half-Life run time with 20 minutes and 41 seconds, shaving minutes off the previous record of 29 minutes and 41 seconds.
The run was completed on the hard setting with seven team members doing runs: quadrazid, CRASH FORT, coolkid, pineapple, YaLTeR, Spider-Waffle and FELip. The run is composed of 317, 249 segments and 107 saves/segments were made "only to cause and abuse save glitches."
"Starting back in the summer of 2010, the estimated time for this run was thought to be roughly 27 minutes," quadrazoid wrote on the YouTube video. "However, after almost four years of painstaking planning, theory crafting and execution, we have arrived at our final time, smashing all of our wildest expectations. Not only do we owe this new world-record time to all the new tricks we've discovered, the new routes we've found and the new ways we've learned to manipulate the game."
Several of the game's glitches, modifications and heavy scripting — including jump spam, duck spam, 180 degree turns for gauss boost and precise use-key actions — were used to achieve the record time. More information about the Bunnymod Pro modification used, a mod designed for Half-Life running, is located on the SourceRuns wiki page and a timesheet detailing the run is available here.
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- I've experienced the Pokémon World Championships, and you should too
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)