Halo series and Destiny composer Marty O'Donnell was fired by Bungie's board of directors last week, the composer revealed via his personal Twitter account tonight.
I'm saddened to say that Bungie's board of directors terminated me without cause on April 11, 2014.— Marty O'Donnell (@MartyTheElder) April 16, 2014
O'Donnell composed music for Oni, as well as the Myth and Halo series. He joined Bungie in 2000 as audio director after working on Myth 2, Oni and Halo: Combat Evolved's scores on a contract basis with his company TotalAudio. During his time at Bungie, O'Donnell directed voice talent and sound design for the Halo trilogy, Halo: Reach and Halo 3: ODST. He often collaborated with TotalAudio partner and now in-house audio design lead at Bungie, Mike Salvatori.
O'Donnell, Salvatori and Paul McCartney recently worked together to create the soundtrack for Bungie's new shooter, Destiny. O'Donnell said McCartney was drawn to the project by an interest in interactive music. The three also produced a symphonic and choral prequel suite for Destiny called Music of the Spheres, which premiered during game music concert performance Video Games Live last July.
He said his goal as audio director for Bungie, working on Destiny, was that every sound in the game would be created from scratch.
We have reached out to Bungie for comment and clarification.
Update: Titled "There are those who said this day would never come...," Bungie posted the following statement regarding O'Donnell's termination on its official website:
"For more than a decade, Marty O'Donnell filled our worlds with unforgettable sounds and soundtracks, and left an indelible mark on our fans. Today, as friends, we say goodbye. We know that wherever his journey takes him, he will always have a bright and hopeful future.
We wish him luck in all his future endeavors."
- Development hell: The video game
- Ukraine's 4A Games lands in Malta: 'We are not betrayers'
- 1080p will come to Xbox One games, but at a cost
- The police aren't an army: the problem with Battlefield Hardline
- Want to save time and money? Stop buying games at launch
- Xbox 360's 500 GB HD is cheaper than its 320 GB cousin but still expensive
- LittleBigPlanet 3's Oddsock cannot be stopped or contained
- Watch Jimmy Fallon gun down James Bond himself in GoldenEye 007
- Wasteland 2 will be officially released Sept. 19
- Resident Evil: Revelations 2 listing appears on Xbox.com
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- What's a good game for a 65-year old first time gamer?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 16.2: Chris Houlihan was here. Shhhhhhhhhh, its a secret to everyone.
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 19
- Feature to track games?
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy