Social and mobile game developer King has settled its trademark disputes with The Banner Saga developer Stoic Studio and CandySwipe developer Albert Ransom, according to statements both developers recently released.
"Stoic is pleased to have come to an agreement with King regarding Stoic's The Banner Saga trademark, which enables both parties to protect their respective trademarks now and in the future," the developer wrote on its website.
CandySwipe developer Albert Ransom, who has previously accused King of being overly litigious with its candy-related trademark filings, posted a similar note to his website yesterday. "I am happy to announce that I have amicably resolved my dispute with King over my CandySwipe trademark and that I am withdrawing my opposition to their mark and they are withdrawing their counterclaim against mine," he wrote. "I have learned that they picked the Candy Crush name before I released my game and that they were never trying to take my game away. Both our games can continue to coexist without confusing players."
The trademark disputes came about because King holds the trademark for the word "saga" in the field of software and video games, and had filed to trademark "candy," an application which it has since dropped.
Stoic accused King in January of this year of hindering the development of its Banner Saga games by filing legal opposition to Stoic's own trademark filing for The Banner Saga. King said it was not trying to stop The Banner Saga from using its name — it was simply "taking appropriate steps to protect our IP, both now and in the future."
King declined to comment for this story.
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- The Uncharted movie finally gets a release date set in stone
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Discovery Place
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Spare Xbox One code
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders