Japanese role-playing game Final Fantasy 3 could be coming to Windows PC, according to a listing on the German Entertainment Software Self-Regulation Body.
The listing for Final Fantasy 3 was registered with the country's ratings board on April 2 by publisher Square Enix. The PC version appears to only have been registered with the German board at the time of writing — similar listings for a PC version do not appear on the European PEGI board or North American ESRB.
When contacted, a representative for Square Enix declined to comment on the listing.
Final Fantasy 3 was the first numbered entry in the series to feature a job-change system in which characters could switch between and level up different job classes. The story centered on four orphans tasked with restoring balance to and renewing their world using power bestowed on them by a magic crystal.
The game was first released in Japan in 1990 for the Famicom, and was unavailable in the West until a remake was made and published for the Nintendo DS in 2006. Final Fantasy 3 has since been ported to the Wii and Wii U Virtual Consoles, the PlayStation Network, iOS and Android devices and the Ouya microconsole.
Square Enix's most recent forays into publishing older Final Fantasy games for PC were Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 8, which hit Steam in June and December of last year, respectively. Earlier this year, longtime series producer Yoshinori Kitase stated that Square Enix is "definitely interested" in bringing future Final Fantasy titles to Windows PC.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Two Ubisoft developers watched a goat sacrifice while researching Far Cry 4
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PS4 Beta Codes