Online retailer Amazon has begun rolling out scores from the popular game review aggregation site Metacritic alongside select video game listings.
The Metacritic score can either be displayed below and to the right of the game's box art graphic or above the game's price next to Amazon customer reviews. The Metacritic ratings can be found on games across all platforms, although not all games and versions have a rating attached. We have reached out to Metacritic representatives and Amazon for comment.
Valve's distribution platform Steam has long offered Metacritic ratings alongside its game listings. The company recently set a feature live where Steam users can rate, recommend and review the titles they've played through the Steam Community. The Steam Reviews data displays below games system requirements information and Valve is looking into generating a score based on Steam Reviews.
A group of researchers at Full Sail University investigated the opaque Metacritic service in years past and presented the results from their study, by course director Adams Greenwood-Ericksen, at the Game Developers Conference 2013. The study looked at how Metacritic weighs each publication's score based on "their quality and overall stature," aggregating and converting a wide range of review scales and first-wave scores influence on subsequent reviews.
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- Dota 2 team Newbee just won The International 4 — along with the largest eSports prize pool in history
- Your first look at Agent Locke in Ridley Scott's Halo: Nightfall
- I'm reviewing every FMV game because I'm broken inside
- Quit Twitter before you're hard, quit Instagram before you're soft
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22
- Destiny Beta
- I just want a gritty mature MOBA
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon YouTube Channel
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 14: Beast War-riors (part 2)