Online retailer Amazon has begun rolling out scores from the popular game review aggregation site Metacritic alongside select video game listings.
The Metacritic score can either be displayed below and to the right of the game's box art graphic or above the game's price next to Amazon customer reviews. The Metacritic ratings can be found on games across all platforms, although not all games and versions have a rating attached. We have reached out to Metacritic representatives and Amazon for comment.
Valve's distribution platform Steam has long offered Metacritic ratings alongside its game listings. The company recently set a feature live where Steam users can rate, recommend and review the titles they've played through the Steam Community. The Steam Reviews data displays below games system requirements information and Valve is looking into generating a score based on Steam Reviews.
A group of researchers at Full Sail University investigated the opaque Metacritic service in years past and presented the results from their study, by course director Adams Greenwood-Ericksen, at the Game Developers Conference 2013. The study looked at how Metacritic weighs each publication's score based on "their quality and overall stature," aggregating and converting a wide range of review scales and first-wave scores influence on subsequent reviews.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- There is a human inside this insane Metal Gear cosplay
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart