Online retailer Amazon has begun rolling out scores from the popular game review aggregation site Metacritic alongside select video game listings.
The Metacritic score can either be displayed below and to the right of the game's box art graphic or above the game's price next to Amazon customer reviews. The Metacritic ratings can be found on games across all platforms, although not all games and versions have a rating attached. We have reached out to Metacritic representatives and Amazon for comment.
Valve's distribution platform Steam has long offered Metacritic ratings alongside its game listings. The company recently set a feature live where Steam users can rate, recommend and review the titles they've played through the Steam Community. The Steam Reviews data displays below games system requirements information and Valve is looking into generating a score based on Steam Reviews.
A group of researchers at Full Sail University investigated the opaque Metacritic service in years past and presented the results from their study, by course director Adams Greenwood-Ericksen, at the Game Developers Conference 2013. The study looked at how Metacritic weighs each publication's score based on "their quality and overall stature," aggregating and converting a wide range of review scales and first-wave scores influence on subsequent reviews.
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- What it's like to attend Girls Make Games, the all-girls game dev summer camp
- This laser-etched map of Zelda's Hyrule is going to sell out fast
- Ex-Silicon Knights dev sentenced in child pornography case, charged with sexual assault
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- Tell Us Your Story
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites