Work on the next film adaptation of Capcom's survival horror franchise Resident Evil will begin this year, CCTV reports Resident Evil franchise writer and director Paul W.S. Anderson as saying at the Beijing International Film Festival.
"And I have to go home tomorrow to start writing Resident Evil," he said at the summit in response to an audience member's question about the franchise. "So that's what I'm doing next." Anderson hinted last year that his next project after 3D disaster movie Pompeii may be a Resident Evil film, but told Collider in February that "the wheels aren't quite in motion yet" regarding its production.
Making her franchise debut in 2012's Resident Evil: Retribution (film pictured above), Anderson confirmed that actress Li Bingbing will return as Ada Wong in the sequel. The director also announced at the summit that RE6 will "definitely be 3D." According to CCTV, Anderson referred to the movie as "Rising Resident Evil," possibly titled Resident Evil: Rising to keep with the series naming conventions.
Anderson wrote and produced all five previous Resident Evil films. He directed three where Resident Evil: Extinction was directed by Highlander director Russell Mulcahy and Resident Evil: Apocalypse by filmmaker veteran Alexander Witt.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta