Save data for the Xbox 360 edition of Mojang's Minecraft will transfer to the forthcoming Xbox One version of the game, Microsoft's head of Xbox Phil Spencer confirmed today.
"After months of teaming up with Mojang, we can confirm that Minecraft [Xbox 360] Edition will save transfer to Xbox One Edition," Spencer said on Twitter, promising "more news soon" about the console-to-console transfer. Minecraft for Xbox One was announced at last year's E3 and is expected to be released this year. Discussion about Xbox 360 to Xbox One save transfers has been going on since last summer.
Mojang has similar plans to support transfer of Minecraft saves from the PlayStation 3 version to the PlayStation 4 version.
Microsoft announced earlier this month that the Xbox 360 edition of Minecraft has sold more than 12 million copies.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- PS4 Beta Codes