Capcom's recently announced addition to the Ace Attorney series, The Great Ace Attorney, will be the start of a new series, according to game producer Shintaro Kojima in a statement to Famitsu magazine (via Siliconera).
The new interview, which also features comments from series creator Shu Takumi, offers some details on the direction of the game.
"While it's not a main-numbered Ace Attorney title, it's the start of a new series called The Great Ace Attorney," Kojima said. "I believe that it's becoming something that can show that it's not simply just a derivative title. We can't say too much about it for the time being, but we'll be revealing more on the characters and their backgrounds next time, which we hope you all can look forward to. It's really becoming something that we have high expectations for, so please look forward to it!"
The Great Ace Attorney will include a new female character, Susato Mikotoba, who is described by Kojima as a "graceful Japanese woman, a proper girl who does everything the proper way."
Likewise, the game will be "quite different" to the previous Ace Attorney releases, Takumi added.
"It's been a while since I've participated in making a new Ace Attorney game, and things are a little different from the earlier days; however, as usual, I'll be doing my best and putting all my effort into it, so that this one [The Great Ace Attorney] won't lose to the past games I've worked on."
Takumi has worked on the Ace Attorney series since the 2001 original Nintendo DS title, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, However, Takumi did not work on the most recent release, Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies, because at the time he was focused on crossover title Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney.
The new Nintendo 3DS release was revealed in the most recent issue of Famitsu earlier this week. The game will be set in Japan's Meiji era (Sept. 1868 through July 1912) and star an ancestor of Phoenix Wright, named Naruhodou Ryuunosuke.
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Tonight, a nation's favorite game will award a human prize
- NIS America allegedly backtracks out of GaymerX sponsorship
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
- Why Shadow of Mordor's undead Elven hero and sexy Sauron are such a big deal
- Watch The Last of Us: One Night Live right now
- Yes, you can dress up like Link when Monster Hunter 4 comes stateside next year
- How to unlock Thanatophobia, the almost impossible trophy, in Rogue Legacy
- Scientifically Accurate Sonic is everything you never wanted to know about hedgehog poop
More from Polygon
- What's your favorite silly game?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27