PlayStation 4 firmware update 1.70 will be released next Wednesday, April 30, according to a tweet today from the PlayStation Europe Twitter account.
According to the tweet, 1.70 will add the new ShareFactory video editor app and include the option to remove HDCP video signal copyright protection. You can watch the recent video below to see ShareFactory's features, including the ability to add audio tracks and video filters to PS4 videos.
In March, Sony announced that the next firmware update would also allow users to save screenshots and videos to USB drives. An update last week referenced the ability to pre-download pre-ordered games "up to several days in advance." Though the tweet didn't mention those features, it teased "more soon."
We've reached out to Sony for more information on firmware 1.70 and will update this article with more information as it becomes available.
Update: The official North American PlayStation Twitter account also confirmed today that the 1.70 update will arrive April 30. Unlike its European counterpart, the tweet linked to a PlayStation Blog post from last week that detailed Sony's plans for ShareFactory, pre-loading and saving to USB media.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business