As was anticipated, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare will introduce microtransactions next week, the game's producer said Friday on Electronic Arts' blog.
Beginning this week, players will have the option to purchase coins from the game's sticker shop, Brian Lindley said. The coins let players buy new packs and character content. Coins are a free currency, earned in game, and since Garden Warfare launched on Feb. 27 the only way to acquire them was by playing.
Lindley said back in February that the game would launch without microtransactions which, of course, didn't rule out bringing them to the game later.
The microtransactions were announced underneath a reminder of what the free Zomboss Down update, launched a couple of weeks ago, delivers — including balance updates that allow players to earn more coins. In the run-up to the game's launch, PopCap told Polygon that players should earn an average of 15,000 to 18,000 coins per hour with normal gameplay.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Hironobu Sakaguchi wanted Chrono Trigger to evolve in a series 'like a Final Fantasy'
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Stronger distinction of Recommended posts/comments
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Kingdom of Amalur - 10$ was the best deal ever
- I'm going to make an AMV...and I need your help.
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall