As was anticipated, Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare will introduce microtransactions next week, the game's producer said Friday on Electronic Arts' blog.
Beginning this week, players will have the option to purchase coins from the game's sticker shop, Brian Lindley said. The coins let players buy new packs and character content. Coins are a free currency, earned in game, and since Garden Warfare launched on Feb. 27 the only way to acquire them was by playing.
Lindley said back in February that the game would launch without microtransactions which, of course, didn't rule out bringing them to the game later.
The microtransactions were announced underneath a reminder of what the free Zomboss Down update, launched a couple of weeks ago, delivers — including balance updates that allow players to earn more coins. In the run-up to the game's launch, PopCap told Polygon that players should earn an average of 15,000 to 18,000 coins per hour with normal gameplay.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?