Destiny players who upgrade their consoles can take their saved characters and progress with them, according to developer Bungie.
Speaking at a recent press event, investment lead Tyson Green said that Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners could use their saved characters when they buy an Xbox One or PlayStation 4.
"We're interested in making sure that last gen character can move to next gen," he said. "A lot of people are going to buy Destiny on PS3 or Xbox 360 and then get a PS4 for Christmas. Don't tell me I wasted those last 100 hours there. So we're really interested in supporting that. Our longer-term platform plans, I couldn't speak to right now. But we don't want to lock people in."
However, he could not offer details on how the transfers would take place. He said that no decision has yet been made for those console owners who switch brands, meaning that a PS3 owner who buys and Xbox One might not be able to transfer their saves.
"We don't have any plans to announce there right now. Traditionally that's been restricted by the platform [holders] themselves. We'll just have to wait and see where they go with that."
During the press event Bungie offered no new information on the possibility of a Windows PC version of Destiny, which has yet to be announced.
- Check out Super Smash Bros. for Wii U's 8-player mode in action
- IGDA: Sexism is hurting the industry and spurs harassment
- Bound Women: Why games are better without a damsel to save
- Here's how PS4's new game sharing feature will work
- Watch 16 minutes of Quantum Break, Remedy's time-twisting Xbox One game
- A predictable response to political disenfranchisement is anger.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Downloadable Contraversy
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No 1.2: No More Games.
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Poly-OT: Super Smash Bros. 3DS - 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, TIME
- Oct 24, 2014: Polygon.com turns two today
- Clans of Polygon: What's going on in Destiny? (October)
- Polygon is hiring!
- Has Polygon lost its edge?
- Are Themes Worth Paying For?