Destiny players who upgrade their consoles can take their saved characters and progress with them, according to developer Bungie.
Speaking at a recent press event, investment lead Tyson Green said that Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 owners could use their saved characters when they buy an Xbox One or PlayStation 4.
"We're interested in making sure that last gen character can move to next gen," he said. "A lot of people are going to buy Destiny on PS3 or Xbox 360 and then get a PS4 for Christmas. Don't tell me I wasted those last 100 hours there. So we're really interested in supporting that. Our longer-term platform plans, I couldn't speak to right now. But we don't want to lock people in."
However, he could not offer details on how the transfers would take place. He said that no decision has yet been made for those console owners who switch brands, meaning that a PS3 owner who buys and Xbox One might not be able to transfer their saves.
"We don't have any plans to announce there right now. Traditionally that's been restricted by the platform [holders] themselves. We'll just have to wait and see where they go with that."
During the press event Bungie offered no new information on the possibility of a Windows PC version of Destiny, which has yet to be announced.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- how do i cross save olliolli from Vita to ps4
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"