Originally slated to be a launch title for Sony's new console, DriveClub was delayed last fall to "early 2014." Last month, Sony said it had gone "back to the drawing board" on the racer. Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, said on the PlayStation Blog today that "what DriveClub offers has not been previously achieved" in the racing genre, and that's what necessitated the delay.
Yoshida also noted that DriveClub has had a new game director since February: Paul Rustchynsky, who served as game director on 2012's MotorStorm: RC and has worked at Evolution Studios since 2004. Rustchynsky took over for Col Rodgers, who departed the company in February to start an indie studio.
"With Rushy in the lead, we know DriveClub will deliver on its initial promise to be a truly next-gen racing title for our PS4 portfolio," said Yoshida. "We are really proud of the incredible work the team has produced — their tenacity and passionate pursuit of excellence is admirable, and DriveClub will be all the better for it."
You can check out a new trailer for DriveClub above. The game is going up against three other major releases set for Oct. 7: Monolith Productions' Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, The Creative Assembly's Alien: Isolation and BioWare's Dragon Age: Inquisition.
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Development hell: The video game
- Sexual conquest and emotional connections in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- With Han Solo, Leia and Chewie, Star Wars Commander is bringing back the force
- Wii U pre-orders see a huge increase after Gamescom, says Amazon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us
- Polygon Video Player - What's the deal?
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Metro Redux: Will It Be A Must Purchase?