Originally slated to be a launch title for Sony's new console, DriveClub was delayed last fall to "early 2014." Last month, Sony said it had gone "back to the drawing board" on the racer. Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, said on the PlayStation Blog today that "what DriveClub offers has not been previously achieved" in the racing genre, and that's what necessitated the delay.
Yoshida also noted that DriveClub has had a new game director since February: Paul Rustchynsky, who served as game director on 2012's MotorStorm: RC and has worked at Evolution Studios since 2004. Rustchynsky took over for Col Rodgers, who departed the company in February to start an indie studio.
"With Rushy in the lead, we know DriveClub will deliver on its initial promise to be a truly next-gen racing title for our PS4 portfolio," said Yoshida. "We are really proud of the incredible work the team has produced — their tenacity and passionate pursuit of excellence is admirable, and DriveClub will be all the better for it."
You can check out a new trailer for DriveClub above. The game is going up against three other major releases set for Oct. 7: Monolith Productions' Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, The Creative Assembly's Alien: Isolation and BioWare's Dragon Age: Inquisition.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Nintendo lost $97M last quarter even with the success of Mario Kart 8
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- RIP Friends List?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Tell Us Your Story