Originally slated to be a launch title for Sony's new console, DriveClub was delayed last fall to "early 2014." Last month, Sony said it had gone "back to the drawing board" on the racer. Shuhei Yoshida, president of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, said on the PlayStation Blog today that "what DriveClub offers has not been previously achieved" in the racing genre, and that's what necessitated the delay.
Yoshida also noted that DriveClub has had a new game director since February: Paul Rustchynsky, who served as game director on 2012's MotorStorm: RC and has worked at Evolution Studios since 2004. Rustchynsky took over for Col Rodgers, who departed the company in February to start an indie studio.
"With Rushy in the lead, we know DriveClub will deliver on its initial promise to be a truly next-gen racing title for our PS4 portfolio," said Yoshida. "We are really proud of the incredible work the team has produced — their tenacity and passionate pursuit of excellence is admirable, and DriveClub will be all the better for it."
You can check out a new trailer for DriveClub above. The game is going up against three other major releases set for Oct. 7: Monolith Productions' Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, The Creative Assembly's Alien: Isolation and BioWare's Dragon Age: Inquisition.
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- Final Fantasy designer Tetsuya Nomura shows his extreme take on Batman
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- A New Steam Controller
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Spare PS4 Beta Codes
- DESTINY disappointment?
- 25 character code not working on Xbox1
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22