Diablo 3 expansion Reaper of Souls has sold move than 2.7 million copies since its launch one week ago for Mac and Windows PC on March 25, Blizzard announced today.
This number includes both physical and digital copies sold at retail and online. Blizzard also reports that Reaper of Souls players have "stopped Death" in the expansion more than 1.5 million times over, and the number is continuing to grow. Numerous Twitch gameplay livestreams held worldwide on launch day for Reaper of Souls also garnered more than 2.4 million viewers, according to the company.
Reaper of Souls adds on to Diablo 3's storyline with a new arc that will take players across the world for a showdown against a vengeful Angel of Death, Malthael. The expansion also gives players access to the new spells and abilities for existing classes as well as the new Crusader class, gear-customizing Mystic artisan, Adventure Mode, new objectives, randomized dungeons and a new level cap of 70.
"With Reaper of Souls, we wanted to emphasize all the things that Diablo gamers have always loved about the series, from the dark gothic setting to the piles and piles of epic loot," Blizzard CEO and cofounder Mike Morhaime said in a press statement. "We're excited to see that players are enjoying the changes we've made to the game, and we look forward to achieving our Paragon levels alongside everyone else in the weeks and months ahead."
Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls is available now at retail and digitally for Mac and Windows PC. The expansion will be included in the Diablo 3: Ultimate Evil Edition slated to launch later this year for PlayStation 4 and in the future for Xbox One.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- PlayStation Now rentals cost $2.99 for four hours play, but everything could be changing
- Twitter can fix its harassment problem, but why mess with success?
- A video history of Crytek in two minutes
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- RIP Friends List?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta