The most downloaded free app for PlayStation 4 is Netflix. The second-most-downloaded? Free-to-play shooter Warframe.
Digital Extreme's third-person shooter, which launched at the same time as the console, has been downloaded millions of times. Sony won't give out numbers but confirmed that the number is higher than two million. PlayStation 4 has so far sold seven million units.
According to SCEA's VP of publisher and developer relations Adam Boyes, more free-to-play games will be coming to PS4.
"You will see a huge focus from Sony in the next few years on free-to-play stuff because of that good performance," he told Polygon. A Sony spokesperson added that the game is monetizing "at least as well" as free-to-play titles on Windows PC, where the market is more advanced.
Speaking at an event showcasing PlayStation indie titles (Polygon's full report from the event will run tomorrow) Boyes said that a new rash of free games would not harm AAA and indie developers. "It's not taking away from anyone," he said. "If you're waiting for a game to come out, free-to-play is a great place to go and check stuff out."
- 2014 Year in Review
- Hatred, free speech and one developer's connections with Poland's far right
- 2014 in review: The year's must-play handheld games
- Before you see the last Hobbit movie you really need to watch this amazing explainer
- Minecraft creator Notch buys Beverly Hills mansion for record-setting $70M
- Polygon Daily Off-Topic: Next Time (Thursday, Dec. 18)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4.1 - 'Tis the Week Before...
- Pokémon Discussions - Primal Evolution Ain't Cheap
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 3, No. 4 - Mercs and White Collars
- What are your top 25 games of all-time?
- Why We Shouldn't Try to Stop "Hatred"?
- Getting the best picture out of retro game consoles
- The Ending of Dragon Age: Inquisition (!Spoilers obviously!)
- Polynauts Play Assassin's Creed: Unity
- Some PSP/ PS1 games listed as compatible for PStv in USA but not in EU/AUS... why? :(