External game storage support for the Xbox One is "coming soon," Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb confirmed on the Xbox One subreddit.
Responding to a question from a Reddit user if there was an update on the ability to use external hard drives, Hryb stated that external game storage support is coming soon but he needs to check on the status of media storage support. Hryb said that he will share details if there will be external storage limits, such as the Xbox 360‘s limit of 32 GB, once that information becomes known.
Hryb confirmed during a live recording of his podcast at PAX Prime 2013 that while the company will allow Xbox One users to utilize external storage beyond the console's internal 500 GB hard drive, the feature wouldn't be available at launch "because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list."
Senior director of product planning for Microsoft, Albert Penello, revealed last May that the Xbox One's USB 3.0 ports can be used for external hard drives but its internal hard drive can't be removed or serviced by the user.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Nintendo Customer Service
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall