External game storage support for the Xbox One is "coming soon," Microsoft spokesperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb confirmed on the Xbox One subreddit.
Responding to a question from a Reddit user if there was an update on the ability to use external hard drives, Hryb stated that external game storage support is coming soon but he needs to check on the status of media storage support. Hryb said that he will share details if there will be external storage limits, such as the Xbox 360‘s limit of 32 GB, once that information becomes known.
Hryb confirmed during a live recording of his podcast at PAX Prime 2013 that while the company will allow Xbox One users to utilize external storage beyond the console's internal 500 GB hard drive, the feature wouldn't be available at launch "because the team is working on some other things, but it definitely is on the list."
Senior director of product planning for Microsoft, Albert Penello, revealed last May that the Xbox One's USB 3.0 ports can be used for external hard drives but its internal hard drive can't be removed or serviced by the user.
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- The best part about the 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' crossover might be 'Bob's Burgers'
- Bravely Default outshines modern Final Fantasy titles by selling one million units
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?