Beta access to id Software's in-development Doom accompanying the release of Wolfenstein: The New Order will only be available to PlayStation 4, Windows PC and Xbox One players, according to the Wolfenstein's FAQ page.
The Doom beta is being offered as a pre-order incentive for Wolfenstein with all versions of the game, including PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. However, PS3 players will be given access to the PS4 beta, while Xbox 360 owners will get Xbox One beta access.
The FAQ explicitly states an Xbox Live Gold subscription is required to access the beta on Xbox One, but a PlayStation Plus subscription is not necessary for the beta on PS4. As for players who digitally pre-order their copy of Wolfenstein, id Software is working to ensure that these players also get access to the beta as well.
"We are working with Steam, Microsoft, and Sony to help ensure that persons pre-ordering digitally from Steam, Microsoft, and Sony will receive access to the Doom beta," reads the FAQ. "Other digital retailers' processes and/or participation may vary. We suggest contacting your preferred retailer directly for additional information."
Currently there is no set date for the launch of the Doom beta. Bethesda has yet to officially announced this new Doom and there are no details on platforms.
When contacted for comment, Bethesda's Pete Hines said the subscription requirements for the Doom beta were dictated by the platform holders, and while the choice of platforms does seem to suggest the next Doom will be next-gen only there is nothing to share at this time.
"[We are] simply confirming what platforms the Doom beta will be available on," Hines told Polygon. "Nothing more. We'll let folks know when we're ready to talk about what id is making."
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- The best part about the 'Family Guy'/'Simpsons' crossover might be 'Bob's Burgers'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?