Out-earning the woman who raised him and his brother on the salary from a local government job made him feel guilty.
"Somewhere in the back of your head you know that you worked hard, that you sacrificed your stability and you took on the risk of financial ruin for a long while," Ismail said. "You did things that other people were not willing or capable of. And that paid off. But, even so, it feels awful. I couldn't get rid of the image of my mother in her car, driving to work."
"The money is a strange one," Persson said. "I'm slowly getting used to it, but it's a Swedish trait that we're not supposed to be proud of what we've done. We're supposed to be modest. So at first, I had a really hard time spending any of the profits. Also, what if the game stopped selling? But after a while, I thought about all of the things I'd wanted to do before I had money. So I introduced a rule: I'm allowed to spend half of anything I make. That way I will never be broke. Even if I spend extravagant amounts of money, I will still have extravagant amounts of money."
Flappy Bird Dong Nguyen creator shared similar sentiments earlier this year. After saying that his game earned more than $50,000 a day, Nguyen pulled the mobile game from sale, stating concerns that the game had become "an addictive product."
"My life has not been as comfortable as I was before," Nguyen said. "I couldn't sleep."
- An awful week to care about video games
- How Salt and Sanctuary reimagines Dark Souls as a 2D action-platformer
- Valve taken to court by Australian consumer commission over Steam refund policy
- The pitch versus the reality: what one of gaming's biggest Kickstarters looks like now
- Dust: An Elysian Tail coming to PS4 'very soon'
- Xbox One system update rolling out now, includes media player and more
- Salt and Sanctuary brings a love of 2D Castlevania and Dark Souls to PS4, Vita
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Old Iron King - A spoiler-free guide
- Game developer group condemns 'morally reprehensible' harassment
- What one Twitter bot giveth, another taketh away
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Dancing Plante - Thu Aug 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Games with great Sound Design
- Where to buy?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- On Being A "Gamer"