Out-earning the woman who raised him and his brother on the salary from a local government job made him feel guilty.
"Somewhere in the back of your head you know that you worked hard, that you sacrificed your stability and you took on the risk of financial ruin for a long while," Ismail said. "You did things that other people were not willing or capable of. And that paid off. But, even so, it feels awful. I couldn't get rid of the image of my mother in her car, driving to work."
"The money is a strange one," Persson said. "I'm slowly getting used to it, but it's a Swedish trait that we're not supposed to be proud of what we've done. We're supposed to be modest. So at first, I had a really hard time spending any of the profits. Also, what if the game stopped selling? But after a while, I thought about all of the things I'd wanted to do before I had money. So I introduced a rule: I'm allowed to spend half of anything I make. That way I will never be broke. Even if I spend extravagant amounts of money, I will still have extravagant amounts of money."
Flappy Bird Dong Nguyen creator shared similar sentiments earlier this year. After saying that his game earned more than $50,000 a day, Nguyen pulled the mobile game from sale, stating concerns that the game had become "an addictive product."
"My life has not been as comfortable as I was before," Nguyen said. "I couldn't sleep."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Legend of Zelda in virtual reality is both familiar and completely terrifying
- This Sonic and Cammy fan-film only gets weird after the S&M scene
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
- Watch the hero of Assassin's Creed Unity save the life of Elise, a new character
- Hotline Miami publisher is coming to the rescue of GaymerX after this week's funding mishap (update)
- Dota 2 needs a white flag
- Girls-only game dev camp going global with support from publishers
- Borderlands PC multiplayer and DLC, lost with the GameSpy shutdown, is on its way back
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???