True Detective actress Michelle Monaghan will join the cast of Pixels, a film that will star Adam Sandler and be directed by Chris Columbus of Goonies and Gremlins fame, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film, which begins shooting this summer, will follow several "video game experts" recruited by the government. After aliens misinterpret video game feeds from classic arcade titles, they begin waging war on humans using similar methods.
Monaghan will reportedly play a weapons expert and Sandler's love interest. Sandler, meanwhile, is a "former champion" now living as a home theater installer. Already included in the film's lineup are Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage, Sandler's nemesis; Josh Gad, a genius obsessed with conspiracy theories; and Kevin James, the president of the United States.
Monaghan is best known for her in film and TV, such as Mission Impossible 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Boston Public.
Pixels was announced in 2010 and is expected to hit theaters in 2015 — not 2016, as previously reported. It's based off a short-film of the same name by Patrick Jean in which video games come to life and invade New York City.
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- 90's Cartoon Network vs. 90's Nickelodeon.
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- Games with great Sound Design
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?