True Detective actress Michelle Monaghan will join the cast of Pixels, a film that will star Adam Sandler and be directed by Chris Columbus of Goonies and Gremlins fame, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film, which begins shooting this summer, will follow several "video game experts" recruited by the government. After aliens misinterpret video game feeds from classic arcade titles, they begin waging war on humans using similar methods.
Monaghan will reportedly play a weapons expert and Sandler's love interest. Sandler, meanwhile, is a "former champion" now living as a home theater installer. Already included in the film's lineup are Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage, Sandler's nemesis; Josh Gad, a genius obsessed with conspiracy theories; and Kevin James, the president of the United States.
Monaghan is best known for her in film and TV, such as Mission Impossible 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Boston Public.
Pixels was announced in 2010 and is expected to hit theaters in 2015 — not 2016, as previously reported. It's based off a short-film of the same name by Patrick Jean in which video games come to life and invade New York City.
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- What do Shakespeare and The Last of Us movie have in common?
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Really Horrible