True Detective actress Michelle Monaghan will join the cast of Pixels, a film that will star Adam Sandler and be directed by Chris Columbus of Goonies and Gremlins fame, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
The film, which begins shooting this summer, will follow several "video game experts" recruited by the government. After aliens misinterpret video game feeds from classic arcade titles, they begin waging war on humans using similar methods.
Monaghan will reportedly play a weapons expert and Sandler's love interest. Sandler, meanwhile, is a "former champion" now living as a home theater installer. Already included in the film's lineup are Game of Thrones actor Peter Dinklage, Sandler's nemesis; Josh Gad, a genius obsessed with conspiracy theories; and Kevin James, the president of the United States.
Monaghan is best known for her in film and TV, such as Mission Impossible 3, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and Boston Public.
Pixels was announced in 2010 and is expected to hit theaters in 2015 — not 2016, as previously reported. It's based off a short-film of the same name by Patrick Jean in which video games come to life and invade New York City.
- Win a one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- Report: Google to acquire Twitch for $1 billion
- Skylanders launching more powerful premium figures this fall
- Sunset Overdrive's character customization is serious business
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- PS4 Beta Codes