The next Borderlands game will be called Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel and it is being developed by 2K Australia, according to a report by online retailer GamePointsNow.
Citing exclusive information but not its source, GamePointsNow says the game will be set in the five-year span between the stories of Borderlands and Borderlands 2. The game will be set on Pandora's moon, and the H-shaped base that orbits it, said GamePointsNow, and there will be four new classes of characters, including Fragtrap, a weaponized version of the Claptrap robot.
No release date was mentioned.
In February, Randy Pitchford, the Gearbox CEO, told Polygon his studio was "not working on Borderlands 3," and that "there isn't a Borderlands 3." Those remarks, of course, don't cover the possibility of a prequel being built by another studio.
Gearbox also is collaborating with Telltale Games on Tales of the Borderlands, an altogether different game to be done in Telltale's narrative style.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Legend of Zelda in virtual reality is both familiar and completely terrifying
- This Sonic and Cammy fan-film only gets weird after the S&M scene
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???