Nintendo EAD Tokyo has begun developing the next Mario title, the studio revealed in an interview with Edge Online.
Producer Yoshiaki Koizumi could not confirm if the next Mario iteration is in development for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U, adding that "we've already started approaching our next challenge" and "there's still a lot more room for discovery and invention, and we'll continue to propose new and exciting game mechanics going into the future."
Co-director and EAD Tokyo team leader Kenta Motokura mentioned that the development team "might need to make even more use of the GamePad" if the new Mario title will see a launch on the Wii U platform.
Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto revealed last November that there is "little chance" for him to oversee or be heavily involved with the next Mario game due to commitments with a new, unannounced project. He added that while he wants to be involved with other Nintendo projects as well as the Mario franchise, he will continue to look at what the teams are doing in terms of gameplay and I trust them."
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- On Patreon support
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Games with great Sound Design
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26