Nintendo EAD Tokyo has begun developing the next Mario title, the studio revealed in an interview with Edge Online.
Producer Yoshiaki Koizumi could not confirm if the next Mario iteration is in development for Nintendo 3DS or Wii U, adding that "we've already started approaching our next challenge" and "there's still a lot more room for discovery and invention, and we'll continue to propose new and exciting game mechanics going into the future."
Co-director and EAD Tokyo team leader Kenta Motokura mentioned that the development team "might need to make even more use of the GamePad" if the new Mario title will see a launch on the Wii U platform.
Nintendo legend Shigeru Miyamoto revealed last November that there is "little chance" for him to oversee or be heavily involved with the next Mario game due to commitments with a new, unannounced project. He added that while he wants to be involved with other Nintendo projects as well as the Mario franchise, he will continue to look at what the teams are doing in terms of gameplay and I trust them."
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?