"Get Ready for a New Era of Call of Duty," reads the title of the page. The countdown posted on the website is ticking down to 10 a.m. ET on Sunday, May 4. That day may host as many as three Game 7s in the NBA playoffs, during which Activision traditionally advertises the Call of Duty franchise.
The page also features a flickering, obscured image, perhaps of a soldier. Another teaser image on the site (see below) appears to include San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.
Activision's 2014 Call of Duty title is in development at Sledgehammer Games, which gave a first look at its work on the project during a panel at the 2014 Game Developers Conference in March. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are the platforms that Sledgehammer is focusing on with the game, which will be the first title in Activision's new three-year cycle for Call of Duty development.
Update: Sledgehammer's Call of Duty title is the cover story for the June 2014 issue of Game Informer, the magazine announced today. Game Informer posted the first screenshot from the game; you can check it out below.
The soldiers in the screenshot appear to be wearing external suits of armor, which could point to the game being set in the near future.
Update 2: A closer look at the teaser site reveals three tiny white squares that move around every time the page is refreshed. They all link to articles about private military companies (also known as private military contractors): the term's Wikipedia entry; a Business Insider reprint of a November 2013 piece from The Economist; and the New York Times' topic page for "mercenaries and private military contractors."
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- The original Killer Instinct 2 may be coming to Xbox One
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- EA offers top games and big discounts for $5 a month
- EA Access wants to be Netflix for video games, but it doesn't go far enough
- Watch us freeze to death in The Long Dark
- How to fight enemies in Dragon Age: Inquisition
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Watch The Last of Us stars share their first meeting, discuss 'alternate' ending
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Tell Us Your Story
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???