"Get Ready for a New Era of Call of Duty," reads the title of the page. The countdown posted on the website is ticking down to 10 a.m. ET on Sunday, May 4. That day may host as many as three Game 7s in the NBA playoffs, during which Activision traditionally advertises the Call of Duty franchise.
The page also features a flickering, obscured image, perhaps of a soldier. Another teaser image on the site (see below) appears to include San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.
Activision's 2014 Call of Duty title is in development at Sledgehammer Games, which gave a first look at its work on the project during a panel at the 2014 Game Developers Conference in March. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are the platforms that Sledgehammer is focusing on with the game, which will be the first title in Activision's new three-year cycle for Call of Duty development.
Update: Sledgehammer's Call of Duty title is the cover story for the June 2014 issue of Game Informer, the magazine announced today. Game Informer posted the first screenshot from the game; you can check it out below.
The soldiers in the screenshot appear to be wearing external suits of armor, which could point to the game being set in the near future.
Update 2: A closer look at the teaser site reveals three tiny white squares that move around every time the page is refreshed. They all link to articles about private military companies (also known as private military contractors): the term's Wikipedia entry; a Business Insider reprint of a November 2013 piece from The Economist; and the New York Times' topic page for "mercenaries and private military contractors."
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- Disney Infinity 2.0 adds a gun-toting raccoon and other Guardians of the Galaxy this fall
- The Walking Dead Season 2: Episode 4 review: existential crisis
- Report: Batman: Arkham Knight DLC may include a Red Hood story mission
- This is what the sheer intensity of an official Pokemon championship tournament looks like
- This international eSports tournament aims to put gamers with disabilities on the map
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Women in Games: A Reaction
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update