"Get Ready for a New Era of Call of Duty," reads the title of the page. The countdown posted on the website is ticking down to 10 a.m. ET on Sunday, May 4. That day may host as many as three Game 7s in the NBA playoffs, during which Activision traditionally advertises the Call of Duty franchise.
The page also features a flickering, obscured image, perhaps of a soldier. Another teaser image on the site (see below) appears to include San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.
Activision's 2014 Call of Duty title is in development at Sledgehammer Games, which gave a first look at its work on the project during a panel at the 2014 Game Developers Conference in March. The PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are the platforms that Sledgehammer is focusing on with the game, which will be the first title in Activision's new three-year cycle for Call of Duty development.
Update: Sledgehammer's Call of Duty title is the cover story for the June 2014 issue of Game Informer, the magazine announced today. Game Informer posted the first screenshot from the game; you can check it out below.
The soldiers in the screenshot appear to be wearing external suits of armor, which could point to the game being set in the near future.
Update 2: A closer look at the teaser site reveals three tiny white squares that move around every time the page is refreshed. They all link to articles about private military companies (also known as private military contractors): the term's Wikipedia entry; a Business Insider reprint of a November 2013 piece from The Economist; and the New York Times' topic page for "mercenaries and private military contractors."
- The 'true' story of a Pokémon game that turns you into a murderer
- A guided tour of the 1 KB hard drive built inside Minecraft
- California city repeals longstanding ban on ... playing pinball?
- Fez developer Polytron hacked in ongoing game developer harassment effort
- Ouya strikes a deal to bring games to China
- Google cleans up Google Play store, removes dozens of Swing Copters clones
- Watch the entire first act of the Mario Opera
- Pokémon's Slowpoke has its own official reggae song
- The Long Dark arrives on Early Access next month
- Disney Infinity is free to download on Wii U
- Weekend at Pokégon's: Open Thread - Aug 23-24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Anime You Might Not Have Tried/Heard of #9
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread: Double Sabre - Fri Aug 22
- Female representation in gaming
- 'Goodbye Polygon,' said Frushtick
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy