Square Enix is considering bringing massively-multiplayer online role-playing game Dragon Quest 10 — which has seen great success in its native Japan — to overseas markets, according to the company's recent financial report.
Dragon Quest 10 — which launched in Japan only for Wii in 2012, Wii U and PC the following year and Android this past winter — is listed in a set of slides detailing overseas business with a focus on Asian territories beneath Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. A Realm Reborn launched worldwide last August for PlayStation 3 and Windows PC and last month for PlayStation 4. The MMORPG is slated to launch in mainland China this summer as part of published partnership with Shanda Games Group, a Chinese online games operate that also publishes Square Enix's Million Engi in the region.
While no specific regions are listed for localization of Dragon Quest 10, the slide notes that "expansion to overseas markets is under consideration." Shortly before the closing of Square Enix's previous fiscal year, producer Saito Yosuke announced via Twitter that Dragon Quest 10 had sold more than one million copies in Japan across its designated platforms.
The same financial report also lists the launch of "large-scale online titles developed by Western studios starting from the fiscal year ending [March 2015]." The company is also planning to release a number of new mobile games in the year head, including Final Fantasy Agito, a "full-scale Final Fantasy title" for smartphones.
Polygon has reached out to Square Enix for clarification on which "overseas markets" are in consideration for Dragon Quest 10.
Square Enix reported a 5.7 increase in net sales within its digital entertainment section for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, led by sales for Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. Total net income was reported at 6.5 billion yen (about $65 million).
- Police: San Diego Comic-Con cosplayer wasn't assaulted, she fell
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- If you're still having trouble with Xbox Live, you're not alone
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Wait. Could the iPad Mini be a better gaming handheld than the PSVita?