Square Enix is considering bringing massively-multiplayer online role-playing game Dragon Quest 10 — which has seen great success in its native Japan — to overseas markets, according to the company's recent financial report.
Dragon Quest 10 — which launched in Japan only for Wii in 2012, Wii U and PC the following year and Android this past winter — is listed in a set of slides detailing overseas business with a focus on Asian territories beneath Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. A Realm Reborn launched worldwide last August for PlayStation 3 and Windows PC and last month for PlayStation 4. The MMORPG is slated to launch in mainland China this summer as part of published partnership with Shanda Games Group, a Chinese online games operate that also publishes Square Enix's Million Engi in the region.
While no specific regions are listed for localization of Dragon Quest 10, the slide notes that "expansion to overseas markets is under consideration." Shortly before the closing of Square Enix's previous fiscal year, producer Saito Yosuke announced via Twitter that Dragon Quest 10 had sold more than one million copies in Japan across its designated platforms.
The same financial report also lists the launch of "large-scale online titles developed by Western studios starting from the fiscal year ending [March 2015]." The company is also planning to release a number of new mobile games in the year head, including Final Fantasy Agito, a "full-scale Final Fantasy title" for smartphones.
Polygon has reached out to Square Enix for clarification on which "overseas markets" are in consideration for Dragon Quest 10.
Square Enix reported a 5.7 increase in net sales within its digital entertainment section for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, led by sales for Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn. Total net income was reported at 6.5 billion yen (about $65 million).
- I caught every Pokémon and it only took most of my life
- Robin Williams' Genie may be immortalized in World of Warcraft
- Swing Copters, clones and the dismal failure of the 'open' app store
- Destiny launch trailer shows combat readiness
- Microsoft pulls plug on free-to-play Xbox 360 game Ascend: Hand of Kul
- Pokégon Daily Open Thread - Thu Aug 21
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17 - Heart Containers
- Games with great Sound Design
- What "Console Wars" taught me about myself and being a fanboy
- Polynauts Fantasy Football League
- The Last of Us 2 for PS4?
- Feature to track games?
- Pokegon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 20
- Why isn't Polygon talking about the Quinn thing ?
- Share your treasured Pokémon stories with us