Founding member and former art director of 343 Industries Kenneth Scott is heading up the establishment of Oculus VR's internal first-party development team as art director, according to the official Oculus twitter account.
Welcome Kenneth Scott (@superactionfunb), Oculus Art Director, formerly of 343 and id Software. Ken is building our 1st-party content team!— Oculus (@oculus) May 13, 2014
Scott helped build 343 Industries' art department in 2008. The art director left the studio in January of this year, taking on a remote visual design consultant position with the company.
Scott's addition follows last month's news that Valve developers Aaron Nicholls and Michael Abrash departed the company for Oculus VR. Nicholls will be working with Atman Binstock, former lead engineer on Valve's virtual reality project before he joined Oculus VR as chief architect.
CEO Brendan Iribe revealed earlier this month that Oculus VR has its eye on the possibility of a massively multiplayer online game that can support one billion people. He said the VR MMO would require "a bigger network than exists in the world today," but Facebook, who acquired the virtual reality headset creator for $2 billion in March, is a good start. Iribe added that Oculus will remain committed to games, but doesn't want to limit its potential reach.
Speaking to Polygon in March, Oculus founder Palmer Luckey teased the software experience Oculus is developing internally to allow users to stay inside the helmet to launch games, or to switch between them. "It's really big," Luckey continued. "I can't talk about it too much yet. It's a big project to build something like that. It can't just be a web page or a store, it needs to be integrated for VR, and you have to figure out how to do that well. We have a lot of people working on it. It's too early to say anything, I don't want to pull a Molyneux here."
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Grand Theft Auto 5's PC version will get an updated soundtrack
- Tales from the Borderlands lets you stop and smell the chaotic roses
- Hironobu Sakaguchi wanted Chrono Trigger to evolve in a series 'like a Final Fantasy'
- Peggle 2 is coming to PlayStation 4
- Is Activision pondering a Take-Two takeover?
- More Dragon Quest games heading to mobile, including the original, very soon