Mario "Kart" has quickly become an inaccurate way of describing this franchise.
Sure, in Mario Kart 8 you are afforded the option of driving a kart, but there's no guarantee that, every few seconds, it won't change into a hovercraft, or a personal watercraft, or a hang glider. Of course, you also don't have to ride a kart to begin with; you could equip yourself with a sports car, or a motorbike. If you obtain the right power-up, you can transform into a massive Bullet Bill. We suppose we understand the need for concision, because "Mario Kart 8" looks a lot better on a box than "Mario Kart/Bike/Hovercraft/Watercraft/Hang Glider/Bullet Bill."
In this Overview, Phil Kollar and I take Mario Kart 8 out for a spin, showcasing some of the new tracks, the reinvented Battle Mode and its replay-sharing online functionality. We also consider getting back on the Wii Fit train, because man, my Mii has really let himself go.
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites