Far Cry 4 will be released Nov. 18 in North America on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Ubisoft announced today.
In a press release, Ubisoft said Far Cry 4 is, like its predecessors, an open-world first-person shooter. It will be set in Kyrat, a fictional region of the Himalayas that is governed by a self-appointed king; he seems to be the blond-haired individual on the game's cover. As in other Far Cry titles, Far Cry 4's exotic setting will offer a variety of geographic features and wildlife for players to explore. The game is in development across five Ubisoft studios: Montreal is the lead, with Red Storm, Toronto, Shanghai and Kiev assisting.
"Following the success of Far Cry 3, we wanted to take the franchise to the next level and create a game that will surprise players and exceed fans' expectations," said Dan Hay, the game's executive producer. "Given the unique setting, we feel Far Cry 4 will stand out as a top first-person shooter and we're eager to reveal more about the game in the coming months."
The announcement of the setting confirms a report from earlier this year that indicated Far Cry 4 would take place in the Himalayas.
Pre-order customers who have played Far Cry 3 will see a familiar face: Hurk. He will appear in three single-player missions, collectively known as Hurk's Redemption, which are a pre-order bonus for the Limited Edition of Far Cry 4; all pre-orders are automatically upgraded to the Limited Edition. The Hurk missions come with his harpoon gun, the Impaler.
You can see the full Far Cry 4 box art below. Ubisoft will show off the first gameplay footage during its E3 2014 press briefing, which begins at 6 p.m. ET on June 9.
- But WHAT CAN BE DONE: dos and don'ts to combat online sexism
- The new Unreal Tournament looks incredible, see it in motion
- Girl's Club video review: Just wanna have fun
- Never back a Kickstarter without a programmer (and other tips for not losing your money)
- The most progressive game of the summer is the one you're probably not playing
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- PS4 Beta Codes
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Spare Xbox One code
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward