Far Cry 4 will be released Nov. 18 in North America on PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Windows PC, Xbox 360 and Xbox One, Ubisoft announced today.
In a press release, Ubisoft said Far Cry 4 is, like its predecessors, an open-world first-person shooter. It will be set in Kyrat, a fictional region of the Himalayas that is governed by a self-appointed king; he seems to be the blond-haired individual on the game's cover. As in other Far Cry titles, Far Cry 4's exotic setting will offer a variety of geographic features and wildlife for players to explore. The game is in development across five Ubisoft studios: Montreal is the lead, with Red Storm, Toronto, Shanghai and Kiev assisting.
"Following the success of Far Cry 3, we wanted to take the franchise to the next level and create a game that will surprise players and exceed fans' expectations," said Dan Hay, the game's executive producer. "Given the unique setting, we feel Far Cry 4 will stand out as a top first-person shooter and we're eager to reveal more about the game in the coming months."
The announcement of the setting confirms a report from earlier this year that indicated Far Cry 4 would take place in the Himalayas.
Pre-order customers who have played Far Cry 3 will see a familiar face: Hurk. He will appear in three single-player missions, collectively known as Hurk's Redemption, which are a pre-order bonus for the Limited Edition of Far Cry 4; all pre-orders are automatically upgraded to the Limited Edition. The Hurk missions come with his harpoon gun, the Impaler.
You can see the full Far Cry 4 box art below. Ubisoft will show off the first gameplay footage during its E3 2014 press briefing, which begins at 6 p.m. ET on June 9.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart