Less than half an hour after beginning, the third annual 8-Bit Salute of Operation Supply Drop — a fund drive to send video games to U.S. troops serving abroad — was beset by hackers.
"This is a battle, let's show the world what happens when you mess with Gamers! " organizers said in an email to backers. The charity's main URL, operationsupplydrop.org, was also taken down, apparently by a distributed denial-of-service attack. The attack began sometime after 9 a.m. ET.
The site returned but was taken down again. "Odds are this will happen again over the next 24 hours," they wrote.
Organized by a former Army captain who served eight years in Iraq, Operation Supply Drop aims to be a morale booster for service members deployed to combat zones or recovering in military hospitals. It has raised $750,000 in games and gear since its inception.
With the main site down, Operation Supply Drop reminded others they could send PayPal donations to email@example.com, or by buying a poster Rooster Teeth made for the cause.
"Our packages are an immeasurable morale booster for the soldiers," Capt. Stephen Machuga, U.S. Army (ret.) said in 2012. "Troops are accustomed to getting care packages from strangers full of baby wipes and socks. Our care packages are designed to blow their socks off."
Machuga, in the founding story of Operation Supply Drop, says he got the idea after receiving a care package full of Harlequin romance novels from a library. The books were used for target practice.
"It was about that time that he realized that, while people had their hearts in the right place, they just didn't know what soldiers wanted," Operation Supply Drop sayson its Facebook page.
The care packages are intended to combat the stress and loneliness of deployment, including fostering interaction and friendship among servicemembers and abating post-traumatic stress disorder and other conditions cited as a cause of concerning rates of suicide.
Polygon profiled Machuga and Operation Supply Drop at length in December. See more here.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- Keep your pants up with these GoldenEye proximity mines
- What do these major changes to Twitch mean for eSports?
- Honey, Madden shrunk the linebacker in its greatest glitch of all time
- Payday 2's upcoming add-on pack is an homage to Battlefield
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new 'Game of Thrones' series?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart