Dogecoin, the Bitcoin spinoff currency based on the Internet meme of the same name, has had a good run on the hood of Josh Wise's ride in NASCAR. Now it's coming to video games.
Wise, who ran without a hood sponsor until a Reddit campaign raised $55,000 to put Dogecoin all over his car, placed 20th with it at the Aaron's 499 in Talladega on May 4. He and Dogecoin returned last night — this time in a Chevrolet — for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte, where he finished 15th. Wise got into the field as the lone fan-voted entrant, which is appropriate given his record of success with Internet campaigns.
Despite the fact Dogecoin was supposed to be a one-shot sponsorship, the Dogecoin livery — designed by Redditors — will be added to NASCAR '14 in an upcoming DLC pack, Eutechnyx confirmed to CNN. "We love to see more technology-oriented partners getting involved in NASCAR," said Ed Martin, executive vice president of Eutechnyx. "I think it will bring NASCAR to the attention of a lot of people that haven't been exposed before."
Martin made the comment to CNN before the Talladega race; Eutechnyx's official NASCAR '14 Twitter said on Friday that the studio is "waiting on a confirmation" before adding it in.
NASCAR '14, the third stock-car race simulation made by Eutechnyx, launched in February on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, skipping next-generation consoles because of the production costs and smaller installation base.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Looking for some good Players
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Rock1m1's review on Wolfenstein: The New Order
- Let's See Your Photo Mode Snaps From The Last of Us!