Dogecoin, the Bitcoin spinoff currency based on the Internet meme of the same name, has had a good run on the hood of Josh Wise's ride in NASCAR. Now it's coming to video games.
Wise, who ran without a hood sponsor until a Reddit campaign raised $55,000 to put Dogecoin all over his car, placed 20th with it at the Aaron's 499 in Talladega on May 4. He and Dogecoin returned last night — this time in a Chevrolet — for the NASCAR Sprint All-Star Race at Charlotte, where he finished 15th. Wise got into the field as the lone fan-voted entrant, which is appropriate given his record of success with Internet campaigns.
Despite the fact Dogecoin was supposed to be a one-shot sponsorship, the Dogecoin livery — designed by Redditors — will be added to NASCAR '14 in an upcoming DLC pack, Eutechnyx confirmed to CNN. "We love to see more technology-oriented partners getting involved in NASCAR," said Ed Martin, executive vice president of Eutechnyx. "I think it will bring NASCAR to the attention of a lot of people that haven't been exposed before."
Martin made the comment to CNN before the Talladega race; Eutechnyx's official NASCAR '14 Twitter said on Friday that the studio is "waiting on a confirmation" before adding it in.
NASCAR '14, the third stock-car race simulation made by Eutechnyx, launched in February on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, skipping next-generation consoles because of the production costs and smaller installation base.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)