GOG, the DRM-free digital marketplace founded by The Witcher developer CD Projekt Red, is "looking at" launching a way to host unfinished games, in the style of Steam Early Access, co-founder Marcin Iwinski told Eurogamer.
Although GOG and Steam have different approaches to what appears in their stores, GOG is "obviously looking at it" and how it might fit into the company's curated model, Iwinski said.
"As you know our concept is different," he said. "First of all it's DRM-free and second it's curated. I'm often very lost in a lot of stores — apps being my example today. Or even Steam. I don't know what's happening. There's hundreds of releases a month, and I really believe — and our community's clearly showing that — there is a place for a platform which is choosing the stuff."
According to Iwinski, if GOG does it, it will do so in the spirit under which GOG was founded.
"We would definitely consider it," he said, "but again it would be the GOG way. It would have to be curated and, we believe — we are always saying this very openly — we are responsible in front of the gamer for what they're buying on GOG."
Among the many things to consider, the co-founder believes that some form of consumer protection might be necessary.
"If you would do it, it would have to have some kind of protection, because consumers are coming, they are seeing certain promise," he said. "Of course it's like, 'Hey it's alpha,' but the little devil inside your head is saying, 'Ooh I want to play. It looks so cool in the screens', and you don't know that [you will be] unhappy.
"If you're unhappy and they're constantly updating it, that's fine, but if you're unhappy and they just took your money and ran away like typical hit and run … There is somebody who has to be on the hook for it, and I really think this should be the case."
For an example of how consumers may need protected, be sure to read our coverage of Earth: Year 2066, which Valve removed from Early Access this month.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Saints Row developer: 'Sarkeesian is right'