Electronic Arts and Comcast are finalizing an agreement that would allow Comcast customers to stream EA games to their televisions through the telecom giant's X1 cable box, reports Reuters.
Citing five sources, Reuters reports that the deal would cover casual games first, then action and sports titles — while there's no word on specific games, that could include franchises such as Madden NFL, FIFA Soccer and Plants vs. Zombies. EA and Comcast are said to have been testing the service for the past two years. According to Reuters, customers could use tablets as controllers to play the games, and buying titles would resemble the process of purchasing pay-per-view content.
Comcast's X1 is one of the most modern cable boxes in the industry, with support for apps, voice control, a cloud-based DVR and recommendations. The company also offers video on demand through its Xfinity service. Earlier this year, Comcast announced a $45 billion merger with Time Warner Cable, which would make Comcast the largest cable company in the U.S.; the deal is currently pending regulatory approval.
Cable providers such as Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Verizon have brought their content to PlayStation and Xbox consoles through apps. But the agreement between EA and Comcast would mark the most significant instance yet of video games being offered through a cable box.
Other companies are working on game-streaming plans, including Sony. The company's PlayStation Now service, which is set to roll out this summer, will allow customers to stream PlayStation 3 games to PlayStation consoles as well as non-gaming hardware such as Bravia TVs and mobile devices.
Representatives for Comcast and EA declined comment to Polygon.
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Madden 15's outspoken cover star loses with grace in his very first game
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 coming 'early 2015'
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community
- Is Telltale teasing the setting for its new Game of Thrones series?
- Dragon Quest 7 3DS remake may not be worth the cost for Square to translate
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD is a mature, 'true remaster' of the original game
- See how World of Warcraft's other side lives
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart