Nintendo will stage the first tournament for its upcoming Super Smash Bros. on Wii U in Los Angeles on the day E3 begins and is inviting 3,000 fans to come out and watch it for free.
The Super Smash Bros. Invitational also will be livestreamed on both Nintendo's Twitch and Twitch's E3 channels, beginning at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 10. The field comprises 16 "previously selected highly skilled Super Smash Bros. players," according to a news release from Nintendo, though none were named.
The venue is the Nokia Theater, just a few blocks from the Los Angeles Convention Center, where E3 is held. Additionally, Nintendo is offering prime front-row seating to those who show up cosplaying one of their characters.
Nintendo is, for the second year, skipping the pre-E3 news conference that console makers and major publishers typically stage. Nintendo instead is holding a "Nintendo Digital Event" to announce its news, via an Internet livestream, also on Tuesday, June 10 at noon ET. And Nintendo still will have a presence on the show floor at E3, and will beef up fan outreach with a series of daily livestreams from its booth.
- What does it really cost to open an indie studio? All your money, most of your life
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- How well does PlayStation Now work on PS4?
- How to lose a game of Stronghold Crusader 2
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?