The Oculus Rift virtual reality headset has infiltrated Chuck E. Cheese's locations in three markets this month, according to a press release from parent company CEC Entertainment.
"Chuck E. Cheese's Virtual Ticket Blaster Experience" puts users inside of a virtual Ticket Blaster booth, where kids grab flying tickets to exchange for prizes. It will be available during a six-week test in Dallas, Orlando and San Diego beginning this month.
"Kids today have unprecedented access to game consoles and tablets," said Roger Cardinale, president of CEC Entertainment. "Our challenge is to deliver an experience not available at home, and there is no doubt virtual reality does just that. Oculus Rift technology is the next frontier in the gaming industry, and we're thrilled to be able to say it's part of the Chuck E. Cheese's lineup."
The child-focused VR experience comes from a collaboration with Reel FX, the Dallas-based studio that also redesigned the famous mouse mascot.
"We believe that virtual reality eventually will be as popular as our handheld devices," said Reel FX founder and Executive Creative Director Dale Carman. "It's a game-changer, and we're investing incredible time and talent into developing content for the Oculus Rift."
You can play a video game version of the Ticket Blaster on Chuck E. Cheese's website.
For more on recent developments in the virtual reality ecosystem, be sure to read our coverage of VR at GDC 2014. Press play below to see us go hands on with Sony's Project Morpheus VR headset.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dungeons & Dragons castle defense game coming to mobile next year
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- People watched Twitch Plays Pokémon for a billion minutes
- In Firewatch, the job isn't to keep the wilderness from burning down
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- Help Nipah build a PC
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Calling all first team Polygon staff to the Set!
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 29
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- What is your Current Game of the Year?