The Oculus Rift virtual reality headset has infiltrated Chuck E. Cheese's locations in three markets this month, according to a press release from parent company CEC Entertainment.
"Chuck E. Cheese's Virtual Ticket Blaster Experience" puts users inside of a virtual Ticket Blaster booth, where kids grab flying tickets to exchange for prizes. It will be available during a six-week test in Dallas, Orlando and San Diego beginning this month.
"Kids today have unprecedented access to game consoles and tablets," said Roger Cardinale, president of CEC Entertainment. "Our challenge is to deliver an experience not available at home, and there is no doubt virtual reality does just that. Oculus Rift technology is the next frontier in the gaming industry, and we're thrilled to be able to say it's part of the Chuck E. Cheese's lineup."
The child-focused VR experience comes from a collaboration with Reel FX, the Dallas-based studio that also redesigned the famous mouse mascot.
"We believe that virtual reality eventually will be as popular as our handheld devices," said Reel FX founder and Executive Creative Director Dale Carman. "It's a game-changer, and we're investing incredible time and talent into developing content for the Oculus Rift."
You can play a video game version of the Ticket Blaster on Chuck E. Cheese's website.
For more on recent developments in the virtual reality ecosystem, be sure to read our coverage of VR at GDC 2014. Press play below to see us go hands on with Sony's Project Morpheus VR headset.
- Police investigating Comic-Con cosplay assault, photographer arrested
- The front lines: How a beta makes a game better
- Deep Silver buys Homefront from Crytek, moves Homefront: The Revolution to new studio
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas Plague Quarter - Overview Video
- What it's like to attend Girls Make Games, the all-girls game dev summer camp
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- PS+ & Stryder
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Tell Us Your Story
- RIP Friends List?
- What's the deal with DS2: Sunken Crown walkthrough?