The latest iteration of the Skylanders franchise, this fall's Skylanders Trap Team, will include a fan-selected hero that can be voted on through snack food maker Frito-Lay, Activision announced.
Yesterday, Frito-Lay unveiled the names and stories of the three new Skylanders characters selected for the final round of voting. These characters were unveiled in February and players were tasked with submitting a brief description of their interpretation of the Skylanders' personality and powers. Of 20,000 submissions, a panel of judges consisting of Activision and Frito-Lay executives picked one descriptor for each character.
The applicant attached to the winning Skylander will not only see their chosen character appear in Trap Team when it launches on Oct. 5, but they will also receive a $100,000 scholarship:
- Bat Spin (submitted by Kimberly Josey from Charlotte, N.C.), a witch that must save the underworld from trolls to prove herself as a Skylanders hero.
- Flip Wreck (submitted by Noel Foster from Clearwater, Fla.), a half-dolphin, half-shipwreck creature.
- High Five (submitted by Phylicia Nakamoto from Elk Grove, Calif.), the fifth son of the house of Royal High Flying Dragonflies who can fly higher than any dragonfly.
Now through June 13, players can go to Frito Lay's website to vote on the Skylander they want to see included in Trap Team when it launches for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Nintendo 3DS, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360 and Xbox One. For more details on the game, which was announced last month, check out our preview.
- Accused Airbnb squatter: 'Would squat again'
- The 'Mad Max: Fury Road' trailer is the most impressive thing to come out of Comic-Con
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- The Last of Us review update: Remastered on PS4
- Lucy Lawless: New Wonder Woman looks like 'Xena meets Spartacus'