Tappy Chicken is the work of a single game artist from the studio, built using the company's Unreal Engine 4. The game has been released by the studio to showcase the engine's flexibility and usefulness for those interested in development whether or not they have experience. The game can also be extended and modded by users using Unreal Engine 4 Blueprint visual scripting.
"Tappy Chicken is the perfect showcase for the ease of use and flexibility of Unreal Engine 4," a statement from the company reads. "While it may not flex the full graphical muscle of the engine, it shows how almost anyone can make a fun and pretty game fit for mobile devices and web browsers."
Epic is currently working on a browser-based version of the game which will be playable in Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Opera.
According to recent research, nearly 250 games resembling Flappy Birdwere released over a four-day period from Feb. 28 through March 3. That works out to an average of 60 each day and 2.5 per hour - or one every 24 minutes. Last month, The Guardian found that 95 Flappy Bird-like titles arrived on the App Store within a single day.
Earlier this month, the creator behind the now infamous Flappy Bird announced its return planned later this year.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed Aug 27
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Spacecom is 4X strategy, and you can grab beta keys here
- On Patreon support
- Favorite "Bad" Game
- Polygon must change its ethics policy.
- Games with great Sound Design
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (August 2014)
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue Aug 26