Samsung is developing a virtual reality headset for video games that is designed to work with the company's tablets and smartphones, reports Engadget.
Citing "sources close to Samsung," Engadget reports that the Korean electronics maker is set to announce the purported device this year, and is looking to release the headset before Oculus VR or Sony can launch the Oculus Rift or Project Morpheus, respectively. Business Insider also reported news of such a device, citing its own source, who said the headset is a side project for Samsung.
Samsung's purported headset — an early version of which is reportedly in developers' hands already — is said to work with games on Samsung tablets and smartphones, almost all of which run Android. Project Morpheus is compatible with the PlayStation 4, while the Oculus Rift works with PCs and will support mobile devices.
Engadget says Tizen, the company's own operating system, is not the basis for the VR headset. The unit features an OLED screen that is "as good [as] or better than" the display in the second Oculus Rift developer kit, according to Engadget, which adds that Samsung is aiming to set the price of its headset lower than that of the Rift or Morpheus. The latest Rift developer kit sells for $350.
In addition, says Engadget, the final consumer version of Samsung's headset would require more powerful smartphones and devices than are currently available on the market.
We've reached out to Samsung for comment, and will update this article with any information we receive. For more on virtual reality headsets, check out our reports on the Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Fan-made Smash Bros. has better characters
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- What worlds will we explore in Destiny?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?