Former PC Gamer editor-in-chief and longtime games journalist Gary Whitta is set to write a new Star Wars movie.
According to the official Star Wars website, Whitta, whose movie writing credits include The Book of Eli, is working on a standalone movie that will sit alongside the already announced new Star Wars trilogy. The film, due out on Dec. 16, 2016, will be directed by Gareth Edwards, best known for Monsters and Godzilla.
Whitta also contributed to writing Telltale Games' adaptation of The Walking Dead and has worked on games like Duke Nukem Forever, Prey and Gears of War as well as consulting for various games publishers.
"From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer," said Whitta. "It is deeply special to me to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a filmmaker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
Polygon has reached out to Whitta for further comment.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- Legend of Zelda in virtual reality is both familiar and completely terrifying
- This Sonic and Cammy fan-film only gets weird after the S&M scene
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Magic 2015 lead designer says Duels of the Planeswalkers is a yearly franchise 'like FIFA or Madden'
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 29
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Nicalis hints at Gex Remake
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Tell Us Your Story
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???