Former PC Gamer editor-in-chief and longtime games journalist Gary Whitta is set to write a new Star Wars movie.
According to the official Star Wars website, Whitta, whose movie writing credits include The Book of Eli, is working on a standalone movie that will sit alongside the already announced new Star Wars trilogy. The film, due out on Dec. 16, 2016, will be directed by Gareth Edwards, best known for Monsters and Godzilla.
Whitta also contributed to writing Telltale Games' adaptation of The Walking Dead and has worked on games like Duke Nukem Forever, Prey and Gears of War as well as consulting for various games publishers.
"From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer," said Whitta. "It is deeply special to me to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a filmmaker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
Polygon has reached out to Whitta for further comment.
- This is a video game (and it's the best thing ever)
- The Sims 4 gameplay video - 48 hours in the life of a Sim
- Here's your first look at Dead or Alive 5 Last Round on PS4 and Xbox One
- Nearly 1K developers sign letter to end intolerance in the games community (update)
- What do these major changes to Twitch mean for eSports?
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart