Former PC Gamer editor-in-chief and longtime games journalist Gary Whitta is set to write a new Star Wars movie.
According to the official Star Wars website, Whitta, whose movie writing credits include The Book of Eli, is working on a standalone movie that will sit alongside the already announced new Star Wars trilogy. The film, due out on Dec. 16, 2016, will be directed by Gareth Edwards, best known for Monsters and Godzilla.
Whitta also contributed to writing Telltale Games' adaptation of The Walking Dead and has worked on games like Duke Nukem Forever, Prey and Gears of War as well as consulting for various games publishers.
"From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer," said Whitta. "It is deeply special to me to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a filmmaker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
Polygon has reached out to Whitta for further comment.
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- GTA 4 now looks as good as GTA 5 — if you have a PC
- Notorious Airbnb squatter may be the dev behind two flailing Kickstarter games
- It takes 40 minutes to drive across country in The Crew, watch it happen right here
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- A New Steam Controller
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?