The PlayStation 4 is already profitable for Sony on a hardware unit basis, president and CEO Kazuo Hirai announced during its corporate strategy meeting this week.
"It's been a hugely successful launch, but the key to the long term success of the platform lies in how solidly we can continue to grow the installed base," Hirai said. "In terms of game titles for PS4, as of April 13, 47 titles had been launched with a total of 20.5 million units being sold via retailers and over the network on the PlayStation Store. From a profitability perspective, PS4 is also already contributing profit on a hardware unit basis, establishing a very different business framework from that of previous platform businesses."
Since its launch in November, the PS4 sold more than 7 million units worldwide as of April 6 and, according to NPD data. was the top-selling platform in April for the fourth month in a row. While Sony ended its fiscal year a net loss of $1.26 billion, the consoles launch helped increase its sales and operating revenue by 14.3 percent. Its game sector recorded an operating loss of $78 million partially due to costs associated with the console's launch and a sales increase of 38.5 percent, also attributed to the system's release.
According to announcements made during the meeting, approximately half of PS4 users are registered to the PlayStation Plus subscription service. Active PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network users number more than 52 million worldwide and downloads of its PlayStation App for smartphones and tablets exceed 4.5 million.
- San Diego Comic-Con 2014: All the news from pop culture's biggest event
- Bravely Default outshines modern Final Fantasy titles by selling one million units
- Here's the opening to that Bayonetta anime they've been talking about forever
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- Learn how to copy, and know when to steal
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- DESTINY disappointment?