The PlayStation 4 is already profitable for Sony on a hardware unit basis, president and CEO Kazuo Hirai announced during its corporate strategy meeting this week.
"It's been a hugely successful launch, but the key to the long term success of the platform lies in how solidly we can continue to grow the installed base," Hirai said. "In terms of game titles for PS4, as of April 13, 47 titles had been launched with a total of 20.5 million units being sold via retailers and over the network on the PlayStation Store. From a profitability perspective, PS4 is also already contributing profit on a hardware unit basis, establishing a very different business framework from that of previous platform businesses."
Since its launch in November, the PS4 sold more than 7 million units worldwide as of April 6 and, according to NPD data. was the top-selling platform in April for the fourth month in a row. While Sony ended its fiscal year a net loss of $1.26 billion, the consoles launch helped increase its sales and operating revenue by 14.3 percent. Its game sector recorded an operating loss of $78 million partially due to costs associated with the console's launch and a sales increase of 38.5 percent, also attributed to the system's release.
According to announcements made during the meeting, approximately half of PS4 users are registered to the PlayStation Plus subscription service. Active PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network users number more than 52 million worldwide and downloads of its PlayStation App for smartphones and tablets exceed 4.5 million.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dark Souls 2: Crown of the Sunken King review: return of the king
- How the Model T convinced Nvidia to build a gaming-focused tablet
- Hearthstone: Curse of Naxxramas Arachnid Quarter - Overview video
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Thoughts on Destiny
- Yakuza 5 (Ryū ga Gotoku 5) Fan Translation Gone?
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 22