Fallout: New Vegas lead designer and project director Josh Sawyer wants to see next game in the series force players to make tough choices, Eurogamer reports.
Fallout 4 has not been officially announced, though rumors suggest the game is in development and possibly set in Boston. Speaking about what elements he'd like the next game to have, Sawyer went with player choice.
"Fallout games are best when the choices are — and this applies to role-playing games in general, but Fallout is a more desperate world — more agonizing," Sawyer said. "They feel more appropriate to the post-apocalyptic genre. So I hope that whatever twists and turns the story takes, it's more nuanced than a black-and-white choice."
The director went on to explain that much of his own work in New Vegas was to try and make those choices feel impactful and meaningful.
"Some people want to go through the wasteland like a tourist, which is fine — they don't really want it to be super-difficult," Sawyer said. "They want it to be interesting and engaging, and they want to see a lot of neat stuff and go through a cool story. And that's cool.
"Personally I like things to be a little more challenging, and there's a segment of players that also want [that]. I don't have any doubt in this."
Fallout: New Vegas was released in 2010.
- Game of Thrones' Maisie Williams in talks for The Last of Us movie
- Proof '90s kids playing video games are cooler than kids today
- Win a trip to California and one-day design apprenticeship on Sunset Overdrive!
- Eve's new executive producer has a plan to attract new players with the help of old ones
- Street Fighter: World Warrior live action series in development
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri July 25
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Tell Us Your Story
- A New Steam Controller
- DESTINY disappointment?
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Really Horrible