Nintendo's exclusion of same-sex marriage options in the 3DS lifestyle sim Tomodachi Life, and its resulting apology for how that was handled, made the company's top pitchmen ripe targets for Ellen DeGeneres' talk show this week.
In appearance that is definitely not canonical, Mario and Luigi declare they actually aren't brothers - and that for 30 years everyone has misunderstood their real relationship "because of our-a crazy accent," says Luigi.
Wonder what John Leguizamo might have to say about this.
Earlier this week, late night comedian John Oliver also took on the subject of marriage equality among Nintendo characters, imagining couples like Bowser and Donkey Kong, and Toad and Yoshi.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Fri Aug 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Share Button Use? Can you post to another service other than FaceBook?
- Frames Per Second FPS?? How to tell 60 vs 30?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- Hi, nice to meet you.
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Looking for some good Players
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31