Nintendo's exclusion of same-sex marriage options in the 3DS lifestyle sim Tomodachi Life, and its resulting apology for how that was handled, made the company's top pitchmen ripe targets for Ellen DeGeneres' talk show this week.
In appearance that is definitely not canonical, Mario and Luigi declare they actually aren't brothers - and that for 30 years everyone has misunderstood their real relationship "because of our-a crazy accent," says Luigi.
Wonder what John Leguizamo might have to say about this.
Earlier this week, late night comedian John Oliver also took on the subject of marriage equality among Nintendo characters, imagining couples like Bowser and Donkey Kong, and Toad and Yoshi.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?