Nintendo's exclusion of same-sex marriage options in the 3DS lifestyle sim Tomodachi Life, and its resulting apology for how that was handled, made the company's top pitchmen ripe targets for Ellen DeGeneres' talk show this week.
In appearance that is definitely not canonical, Mario and Luigi declare they actually aren't brothers - and that for 30 years everyone has misunderstood their real relationship "because of our-a crazy accent," says Luigi.
Wonder what John Leguizamo might have to say about this.
Earlier this week, late night comedian John Oliver also took on the subject of marriage equality among Nintendo characters, imagining couples like Bowser and Donkey Kong, and Toad and Yoshi.
More from Polygon
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- DESTINY disappointment?
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Deals With Gold Weekly(?) Update
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Why you don't like this headline: Here's how a change in style guide might just be the most clicked click thing you've clicked today
- PS4 Beta Codes