Freaking out other players in Dark Souls 2 doesn't take much effort. All you have to do is stand there.
OK, OK, it's not exactly that simple. To pull off this prank, YouTube's GuardianHX dressed up as a Hollow Royal Soldier, went to the Forest of Fallen Giants, lured out the original foes, killed them and took their spot.
Then he waited for other players to invade, recording their double-takes and other uncomprehending reactions in the video above. At 3:50, you can see a perfect execution of the joke, though the ensuing fight does end in the perpetrator's death. (In Dark Souls, everything does, usually.)
This prank mimics one perfected in the original Dark Souls; this go-around is a little tougher because there the game applies more distinctive stances and animations to player characters. At a quick glance, though, it's still good enough to fool a lot of people.
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- What games on the Hype Train exceeded your expectations?
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Do you often read the reviews after finishing a game?
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- What's your favorite silly game?