Microsoft's new-generation console, the Xbox One, will launch in Japan Sept. 4 for 39,980 yen ($392) for the console and 49,980 yen ($490) bundled with the Kinect, Microsoft Japan announced today.
Microsoft recently announced that 48 game developers in the region have expressed their interest in developing software for the Xbox One, who will add to the titles already available for the console. Titles that will be available in the region include Ryse: Son of Rome, Forza Motorsport 5, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5: Guardians and Dead Rising 3. A list of titles announced for release in Japan is available on Microsoft's website.
Microsoft first confirmed the Japanese 2014 launch window for the Xbox One in September last year. At the time, corporate vice president Phil Spencer reaffirmed that Microsoft remains dedicated to catering the console market in Japan despite the Xbox One launching later in region than the rest of the world.
The company launched its latest generation console in 13 countries on Nov. 22. The recommended retail launch prices for the console, bundled with the Kinect, across various markets include $499 in North America, £429 in the U.K. and €499 in Europe. Earlier this month, Microsoft announced that a Kinect-less version of the Xbox One will be available June 9 for $399.
After a delay, Sony's PlayStation 4 launched in Japan on Feb. 22, 2014 for ¥39,980 and ¥43,980 bundled with its Eye camera peripheral. The late launch of the PS4 in Japan was partially due to the lack of games aimed at Japanese consumers from Japanese developers.
- Divinity: Original Sin review: next to godliness
- Gearbox fights back in Aliens suit, says it paid millions of its own cash to finish game
- Kickstarter suspends accused Airbnb squatter's game project
- If Sony wants PlayStation Now to succeed, it has to treat us better than GameStop
- The Long Dark is a quieter take on DayZ, and it's still terrifying
More from Polygon
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.3: Summer Crusaders
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 31
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Xbox One Update Beta Invites
- Tell Us Your Story
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (July 2014)
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 30
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward