Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King, the beloved Japanese role-playing game from Level-5, is now available on Android and iOS in North America for $19.99, publisher Square Enix announced today.
The game first appeared on the App Store in New Zealand yesterday, as new releases typically do.
Dragon Quest 8 was originally released on the PlayStation 2 in Japan in November 2004. According to Square Enix, this mobile port has been redesigned with controls adapted to touchscreen devices. Players can customize the interface, including the virtual D-pad, to allow for one-handed or two-handed play. The port also offers one-touch combat in turn-based battles, although players can choose a more complex control scheme. Another option is available to enable automatic running through the game world.
"We've put in extra effort for the controls to be intuitive and easy to play. Its 10th anniversary is the ideal milestone to re-release the game for fans and new players alike," said Noriyoshi Fujimoto, producer of the port, in a press release today.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart
- Pokémon Discussions: Summer into Fall
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Reconsidering Columbine
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?