The Future of Gaming, the latest video game-themed exhibition from the Los Angeles-based creative firm iam8bit, will run June 10-22 and showcase industry veterans' conceptions of what video games might look like in the future.
“The quotes present stunning future possibilities, and the artwork brings these possibilities to effervescent life," iam8bit co-founder Jon Gibson said. "We are excited to see the theoretical and practical sides of art creation collide. It’s an exciting peek into the future whether you love art, video games or both.”
The exhibition's "theories" will be displayed from the following contributors:
- Seamus Blackley (co-designer of the Xbox)
- Nolan Bushnell (founder of Atari)
- Keiji Inafune (creator of Mega Man)
- Seth Killian (co-founder of the EVO Championship Series)
- Lorne Lanning (creator of the Oddworld series)
- Ted Price (co-founder of Insomniac Games)
- Kellee Santiago (co-founder of That Game Company)
- Meggan Scavio (General Manager of GDC)
- Jesse Schell (author and professor)
- David Smith (co-founder of Media Molecule)
- Tim Schafer (Double Fine Productions)
- Warren Spector (Award-Winning Designer and Producer)
- Kim Swift (co-creator of Portal)
Artists set to contribute include Mitch Ansara, Boneface, Jude Buffum, Travis Chen, Ken Garduno, Nicole Gustafsson, Teresa Huarte, Henrik Johansson, Kelice Penney, Kevin Stanton, Timothy J. Reynolds, Eden Soto and Naomi White
In a press release announcing the exhibition, Double Fine's Tim Schafer offered his thoughts on the future of video games.
"In the future, we will play games while floating naked in a tank of warm, sensory-depriving gelatin," he said. "Games will be distributed chemically, into the gelatin, and absorbed into the player's skin. The gelatin will be Lingonberry-flavored, and the games will encourage good citizenship."
Founded in 2005, iam8bit's clients include Activision, Disney, Nintendo and PlayStation. Last year, iam8bit designed the art for a functioning satellite.
- No skin thick enough: The daily harassment of women in the game industry
- The studio that made Tony Hawk's Pro Skater closed, here's its billion-dollar story
- Dwarf Fortress will crush your CPU because creating history is hard
- Launching Civilization: Beyond Earth
- CounterSpy hits PlayStation platforms on August 19