Aaru's Awakening, the teleportation-based platformer from Iceland-based Lumenox Games, is in development on PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4, and will be released simultaneously on both consoles this summer, the studio announced today.
According to Jóhann Ingi Guðjónsson, Lumenox's marketing director, Aaru's Awakening began as a school project when the developers were studying at the University of Reykjavik. They were looking for an innovative mechanic in a platformer, and, inspired by the teleportation gun in Unreal Tournament, they came up with the concept for this game.
In Aaru's Awakening, you play as a creature who fires his soul out of his body ahead of him, and then teleports to the location of the soul. Players can also charge the soul shot in order to do things like double-jump, wait in the air and break certain objects. The game has a striking hand-drawn art style with lots of color, as you can see in the PS3 trailer above.
For more on Aaru's Awakening, check out our hands-on preview of the PC version from PAX East 2014.
- Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell sends the Saints to Hell in 2015
- Nintendo reveals the New Nintendo 3DS
- Help us choose the best reader-designed Sunset Overdrive character
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Tales from the Borderlands lets you stop and smell the chaotic roses