The Forest, the open-world survival horror title from Endnight Games, is now available in alpha on Steam Early Access, the studio announced today.
The alpha costs $14.99, and as usual, the initial purchase price includes all future updates at no additional charge.
The Forest puts the player in the shoes of a plane crash survivor who ends up in a mysterious forest filled with cannibalistic mutants and other dangers. The player must use the environment to their advantage in order to stay alive; plants, including trees, can be cut down and used as resources for necessities such as fire and food. Daytime gameplay consists of exploration and building traps and other defenses; nighttime is when the mutants can attack, so it's up to the player to hunker down or go on the offensive.
Endnight plans to add much more to The Forest, and make other improvements, between alpha and the final release. Those plans include more animals, better AI, additional areas and graphical tweaks. For more on The Forest, which is available on Windows PC, check out the game's Steam page and the gameplay video below.
- The Last of Us had an epilogue that Naughty Dog cut, and here it is
- You can pre-order this beautiful $365 Metroid statue starting today
- The days of owning games are coming to an end
- The nightmare is over: They're not coming for your games
- Sherlock Holmes shooting at Watson is just the beginning of this 25 minute gameplay trailer