It used to be that a company like AMD had "one or two veins of gold that you can mine," CEO Rory Read told The Wall Street Journal.
Read, who joined AMD as president and CEO in 2011, estimated that 95 percent of AMD's business was once focused on PC, a state of affairs he said led to "an unhealthy duopoly."
That's no more. AMD is expanding into other, non-PC markets, and the CEO said that its recent gains in profits and revenues reflect the company's direction.
"Now we introduced this opportunity with five high growth markets," Read said. "By the end of last year, we had over 30 percent of the revenue coming from the growth segments. By the end of next year, it’ll be 50 percent."
To video game fans, AMD's most notable inroad into wider ecosystems may be the accelerated processing units that combine CPUs and GPUs on one chip. AMD APUs lie at the hearts of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, both of which launched last November.
"We not only ramped one of those products, we ramped two at the exact same time," he said. "We shipped millions of those products in a six-month cycle and built over a billion-dollar business from scratch in two quarters."
According to Read, AMD's plan is to continue to expand into other non-PC applications, including circuitry that powers "set-top boxes, game consoles [and] televisions."
- The amazing real-world Assassin's Creed Unity parkour run and how it was created
- The new Unreal Tournament looks incredible, see it in motion
- Sony agrees to $15M settlement in 2011 data breach class action
- Here is how anyone can get The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition for free
- Titanfall getting in-game currency in update 5, coming July 31 with Frontier's Edge map pack
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Thu July 24
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.1: Silent Crusaders
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Standby Or Off On PS4
- What's your favorite silly game?
- Spare Xbox One code
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Tue July 22
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Wed July 23