Footage shown during Nintendo's financial results briefing today demonstrates the quick start menu for the Wii U GamePad.
The quick start menu allows players to load a recently played software title without having to go to the console menu first. The feature is slated to roll out as part of the Wii U system update planned for early summer. According to a tweet by analyst David Gibson in attendance at the briefing, the system update will go live in June and will speed up start up by 20 seconds.
"The integration of this feature is almost complete, and this is how it will actually work on the Wii U system," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said during the briefing today. "We will deliver this update to Wii U owners when we update the Wii U hardware either before or during summer."
As outlined during an investor and analyst briefing in January, the feature is part of Nintendo's plan to boost the desirability of the GamePad and its ability to play video games without using the TV.
"We think that this function will make you feel that the time to start up a Wii U software title is cut by more than 50 percent, and that it will also lead to more Wii U users understanding the appealing nature of the GamePad," Iwata said at the time.
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: What is this thing? Is this interesting? - Tue Sep 2
- Looking for good JRPGs on PS3, help needed
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- What Have You Been Reading? (September 2014)
- What is your Current Game of the Year?
- Let's talk about the Guardians of the Galaxy film
- Forum moderation?
- Editorial idea for Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Woady Reviews Anime: Whisper of the Heart