Konami Corporation released its financial results today for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, revealing operating income of 10.3 billion yen ($106 million) and a 37 percent decrease in video game sales at 10.8 million units.
Konami posted 217.6 billion yen ($2.13 billion) in net revenue and 6.2 billion yen ($60 million) in net income. The company's forecast expects a year-over-year 2.7 percent increase in net revenues, a 1.1 percent increase in net income and 16.5 percent operating income for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2015.
Konami's Digital Entertainment business section recorded net revenues of 104.3 billion yen ($1.02 billion) and operating income of 11.7 billion yen ($114 million). The company's soccer titles brought in 3.89 million units for the year, while Metal Gear titles hit 3.37 million units. PlayStation 3 titles contributed to 49 percent of sales, PlayStation 4 at 8 percent and Xbox One at 3 percent.
The company reports "solid sales" of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, Professional Baseball Spirits 2014 and Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card games. Sustained revenue contributions came from key SNS titles such as Dragon Collection and a continued growth in number of native app downloads.
Konami announced during its financial briefing in February that it is budgeting for the development of seven major console titles this year, and expects to see the same number of titles released by the third quarter of 2015.
- How a video game helped save my sanity
- Dragon Quest Heroes brings the series back to PlayStation in Dynasty Warriors style
- The New Nintendo 3DS is everything fun, exhausting, about Nintendo's strategy
- Persona 5 coming to PS3 and PS4 in 2015
- Disgaea 5, Earth Defense Force, Ys, Gundam and Senran Kagura coming to PS4
- Polygon Daily Open Thread: Personable - Mon Sep 1
- Post your Weekend at Polygon/Daily headers here (September 2014)
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight No. 2, Vol. 17.1 - Woady call me kōhai!
- Good graphics cards for £80-110?
- Help Nipah build a PC
- On Being A "Gamer"
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - Aug 30-31
- Reconsidering Columbine
- Woady Reviews Anime: Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse
- What is your Current Game of the Year?