Konami Corporation released its financial results today for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2014, revealing operating income of 10.3 billion yen ($106 million) and a 37 percent decrease in video game sales at 10.8 million units.
Konami posted 217.6 billion yen ($2.13 billion) in net revenue and 6.2 billion yen ($60 million) in net income. The company's forecast expects a year-over-year 2.7 percent increase in net revenues, a 1.1 percent increase in net income and 16.5 percent operating income for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2015.
Konami's Digital Entertainment business section recorded net revenues of 104.3 billion yen ($1.02 billion) and operating income of 11.7 billion yen ($114 million). The company's soccer titles brought in 3.89 million units for the year, while Metal Gear titles hit 3.37 million units. PlayStation 3 titles contributed to 49 percent of sales, PlayStation 4 at 8 percent and Xbox One at 3 percent.
The company reports "solid sales" of Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes, Professional Baseball Spirits 2014 and Yu-Gi-Oh! trading card games. Sustained revenue contributions came from key SNS titles such as Dragon Collection and a continued growth in number of native app downloads.
Konami announced during its financial briefing in February that it is budgeting for the development of seven major console titles this year, and expects to see the same number of titles released by the third quarter of 2015.
- Riot taught me League of Legends (and now I'm teaching you)
- Strike Suit Zero, Dishonored and more available free on Xbox Live Gold in August
- Watch the cast of 'Game of Thrones' goof off in this blooper reel
- Hearthstone dev invents stories that tell themselves
- HBO documentary examines addiction, ethics of game design in shadow of child's death
More from Polygon
- Polygon Daily Open Thread - Mon July 28
- Polynauts OT: Gender, sexuality and representation in gaming
- Anime, Cartoons, Comics! Plight Vol. 2, no. 15.2: Silent Crusaders
- Have you heard of Toki's Magic Wand???
- Infamous Second Son: 2.5/5 For Me!
- Join the Polynauts Destiny clan today
- Weekend at Polygon's: Open Thread - July 26-27
- Pokémon Discussions: Springing forward
- RIP Friends List?
- my final thoughts on the DESTINY beta